Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Bursted Bubbles

When we had my oldest daughter 12 years ago, I did not know how good we had it. She was/is a dream. She slept through the night, hardly ever cried, is quiet. My mother-in-law told me how different she was, but I did not believe her. She cries, we said and she has her moments. Boy, was I wrong.

This is a blog of apology to all the mothers that I ever gave the look to. The look that says control your child, get a grip on those kids, man what a spoiled child. My second daughter is wonderful and I love her. She is smart and sassy and is very vocal and loud, a lot. She has been since the day she was born. She has a huge heart, too but she just is single minded in her decision making and will not let go even when she knows she will not get her way. Why does she insist on crying for cotton on a stick (cotton candy), as she calls it, and as soon as we walk into Walmart? I have never let her have this. When I tell her no, her cries echo from one end of Walmart to the other.

Crying very loud just ALWAYS gets me to do anything she wants me to. When I say no to chicken pops (popcorn chicken) because it is too close to dinner, it would be nice if all the ladies who never had children who behaved poorly would stop looking at me with the look. Yeah, I spoil her real good. She gets everything and anything she wants all the time. From this time foreword, I will no longer give the look and I will try to empathize more. Maybe that is why all the ladies were looking at me with my screaming child because they too can empathize with me.

4 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Blogger Lei said...

Ah, yes... the look. It's been given and received. I sympathize with you. :)

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Rachelle said...

I know I've given such looks before and I know one day it will bite me in the butt. I'm learning quickly, don't judge or guess what? It's your turn next!

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Heather said...

So amazing how we become less judgemental when we go through it ourselves.

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger Grammy said...

My mother once had a childless friend who not only gave everyone else in the bridge club the look regularly, but came right out and said, "No child of mine would ever....". She moved away. Had several children and then came back for a visit. She would not let her kids out of the car until she had had a chance to give her disclaimer. "Please remember my friends, these are not the children I was GOING to have - these are the children I actually had."

I still laugh when I think of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home