Monday, February 27, 2006

I Go Back

I was driving down the freeway this morning and that Kenny Chesney song "I Go Back" came on the radio. (Confession time, I really do not like Kenny Chesney songs, so please don't shoot me if you do.) Listening to the song, though I thought about how much music really does bring us back to both good and maybe not so good memories in our lives and to thoughts of the loved ones here with us still and the ones that are gone.

My husband comes from a very musically talented family, but me not so much. When we are at church, people turn around and tell my husband how wonderful he sings and blah, blah, blah. I get nothin, nadda, not even a consoling glance as to say you were alright or even mediocre. That's okay, because singing is really not my thing. Listening to music, though has been an important part of my life. I think it is for most people. It can bring back a memory, makes us laugh, cry, and unite us as people. It can remind us how similar yet how unique each of us are. Here are just a few things that come to mind for me.

Anything 70s/80s brings me back to high school dances and my old friends.
Neil Diamond reminds me of my mom. For some reason, she loves this man's butt. We have had a hard relationship and it reminds of the happier times that I have had with her.
Gene Autry or any 'ol country song reminds me of my dad.
Louis Armstrong reminds me of my grandmother. I found a Louis Armstrong tape of hers and played it while we were cleaning out her house after she passed away and I just felt better.
Certain songs will remind of different people like Poor Wavering Man of Grief reminds me of a man that was shot and killed in one of our old wards (congregation) because they sang it at his funeral. It reminds me of who he was and how kind he was and not of how he died so tragically.
Hymns just make me happy to be a Christian/Mormon. They talk about Christ and remind me of who I am.
LDS Primary songs remind me of the people I have worked with over the years in the Primary organization of our church and all the children that we have taught about Christ and Heavenly Father. I can never get through certain songs without crying.

My list could be go on and on. I just never really thought about how important music really has been to me. My question to anyone reading is what songs make you happy, remind you of a special moment or person in your life, etc.?

4 Comments:

At 12:04 PM, Blogger Grammy said...

I know what you mean about music evoking a feeling.

When I was 5 my Mom adopted a grandma (82yrs old) and brought her home to live with us. She was really no relation, just a little old lady who needed a home. I shared a room with her for 7 1/2 years. She used to sing "I Stand all Amazed" loudly and off key several times a day. She absolutely could not sing, but I loved her. It was very many years before I could hear that hymn without crying.

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Grammy said...

Carrie. Are you going to do the 7 Sevens? I'd love to hear what you have to say.

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

What a wonderful way to remember that song. Your family sounds amazing to do such a nice thing for someone and give them a home and love. I would love to do the 7 Sevens! It is so much fun to read those.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Papa said...

Great post, Carrie! I love alot of different kinds of music except for opera and rap. When our kids were little, we used to listen to the oldies station in the car and play "Name that artist, or group". If they didn't know, they'd guess, "Neil Diamond?", "John Denver?", or "the Carpenters?", figuring they had about a 50% chance with one of those three.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home